Texas Auto Insurance
Proof of Financial Responsibility
When you buy an auto policy, your insurance company will send you a proof-of-insurance card. You will have to show proof of insurance in the following situations:
- When you are asked for it by a law enforcement officer
- When you have an accident
- When you register your car or renew its registration
- When you obtain or renew your driver’s license
- When you have your car inspected
The penalties for violating Texas state financial responsibility laws are:
- First offense: fine of $175 to $350.
- More offenses: fine of $350 to $1,000, suspension of your driver’s license, and impoundment of your automobile.
- Offense without a driver’s license: $2,000 maximum fine, 180 days in jail, or both.
- Offense if you cause an accident with serious injuries or death: $4,000 maximum fine, one year in jail, or both.
Contact us for more information: 972-432-6650